Laser therapy in dentistry provides patients with a more comfortable dental treatment experience. Using laser dentistry, our dentists are able to deliver a precise treatment that is more comfortable, quicker and provides more stunning results.
There are several benefits to receiving a laser therapy dental treatment.
- Many laser treatments do not require anesthesia and the recovery time is much quicker than with traditional treatment methods.
- Treatments are more comfortable.
- There is less potential chance of bacterial infection because laser treatments are so precise.
- A diode laser (soft tissues laser) can be used to target and distroy bacteria in the gingival pockets, decontaminating the pockets before removing the tartar. This procedure does not require anesthetic, is very comfortable and helps your hygienist treat periodontal disease.
- The laser can be used to specifically remove diseased tissue, leaving healthy tissue and stimulating healing. The laser also helps increase circulation at the bottom of the pocket and helps to rejuvenating the gum attachment to the tooth.
- Lasers can be very successfully used for the treatment of canker sores, herpetic and aphtous ulcers of the oral mucosa, dramatically reducing the pain associated with the outbreaks of these lesions.
- Laser surgery is substantially less invasive with less bleeding during the procedure. Lasers are predictible, precise and produce a reduction in the need for suturing.
TWO TYPES OF LASER DENTISTRY
There are two different types of laser dentistry: hard tissue and soft tissue. Hard tissue includes treatments such as cavity detection, dental fillings and tooth sensitivity improvements. Soft tissue treatments include gum reshaping, gum surgery and muscle attachment improvements.
Procedures such as removing benign oral tumors, regenerating nerves, overcoming sleep apnea, whitening teeth and treating TMD are also considered laser dental treatments.
To learn more about laser dentistry and how you may benefit from a laser treatment, please contact our Maidu Dental practice in Auburn, CA and schedule an appointment.